Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wrapped in Love

A few months after my mother passed away my younger brother welcomed his first grandchild into the family.  Out of seven kids in my family he was the only one that hadn't had the opportunity to share a grandchild with my mom.   I kept feeling that I needed to do something to show my brother that this little baby was still connected to my mom even though she wouldn't meet her in this life here on earth.   This is when I turned on the creativity that had been hiding deep inside and made little Ella a blanket...

Through tears, I cut apart a pair of my mother's slacks and a blouse that she had worn.   As I began to piece the little squares together I realized there weren't enough to make a very big blanket, so I started looking through some more of her things - yes, a hankie will do.   So one of my mother's hankie's became the center of the blanket and it made it just the perfect size.

Hmmmmm - I had this pocket left over from the blouse. What could I do with the pocket?  Well, I stitched it onto the blanket and made a little heart to fit in it - another little piece of love.

So the first memory blanket was created and shared - not just a blanket from me, but a blanket from my mom.  It was a way to show that my mother will never really be gone.  She lives on in our hearts and in our lives.  Her love will live on and on and on... we can share that love with each new baby that is born into our family by sharing our memories of her and how she so loved her family.  For me, I found a way to wrap that baby in her love - a love that flows from generation to generation - a blanket pieced with the very clothes that my mother wore and a hankie that was always neatly tucked away in her dresser drawer.


Ella's blanket.
 
My mother's will to live was so strong right up until the point the doctors said they couldn't do anymore for her.   She loved her family so much.  Through years of illness, her will to live was kept strong by looking forward to the next family event, the next visit from a friend or relative, and the next due date for a new baby to be born into the family.  I'm trying to keep her love of family going strong as I stitch together a blanket here and there for a new family member so that they can be "Wrapped in Love".
Emma's blanket - our new grandbaby.
 
 
This blanket was made from two of my mom's blouses and a hankie (not even one of her hankies, but I liked that vintage touch in the center of the blankets).  This blanket didn't go together well because of the silky fabrics.  I almost decided to start over with different fabrics, but then I walked into my dad's one day and he had that picture of my mom out on the kitchen table - she was wearing one of the blouses I had cut into blanket squares... I had to be using the right clothes even through it was a struggle to sew.  I can't begin to share how touched I was when little Emma showed up at church one Sunday dressed in a cute little yellow outfit, and this blanket wrapped around her - wrapped in my mother's love.


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful Miss Marge! Thank you for sharing a little bit of yourself and your Mom with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there the day you found that picture for Emma's blanket. We both cried and knew the blanket would come together and it did. I'm glad you found a way to be close to grandma again and share her love of family with the new babies!

    Big hug...now I gotta get a kleenex. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you all so much, your Mom was a great influence on me and your whole family represents how a family should function. Thank you for sharing it. T

    ReplyDelete
  4. After my dad passed away I let my mom know I would like some of my dad's shirts. Mostly flannel, chambray and denim. The next Christmas I made a quilt for my mom made from dads shirts. For his children (3 of us) and his grandchildren (6) I made a pillow. The front of the pillow was made with 4 squares cut from the shirts bordered with denim. Mine proudly sits on the back of my couch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you shared that wonderful story, Patti. I have a niece that did a similar thing after her dad passed away - she made mini quilts for wall hangings and some of the blocks were done with photo transfer paper so that there were pictures of her dad on some of the blocks, as well. I just love all of the creative ways that we can carry on the memory of our loved ones.
      Thank you so much for sharing,
      Marge

      Delete