Thursday, February 23, 2012

What do you make?

While I try to figure out this whole blog thing, I think I should post some pictures as I've had several people asking, "What do you make?".  I also had a call from my hubby today asking if I had pictures on my blog that he could show a gal at work - nope, not yet.  I guess I should fix that.

My GOAL (remember, my last post was about setting goals) is to start posting items with prices under a separate tab - just haven't quite figured that out, yet (remember, I said that I'm not very techy).

My sewing/crafting started with the Memory Blankets and then went on to me looking for a laundry hamper for our new grand baby.  I couldn't find anything cute in the stores and if I found anything at all they were priced out of my range.  That's when I created  "Hamper Liners" that fit a tall kitchen wastebasket - perfect size for a little one's laundry hamper, toy basket, or a cute hamper to fit any smaller space.  I actually made two for baby Emma and included little handmade vouchers so that her mama could redeem them for laundry service via this grandma for a few times after she was home with the new baby - slip one "Hamper Liner" out with the dirty laundry and slip another one in the wastebasket to start all over, again.

I've been selling a "Hamper Liner" for $15 and at craft shows have run a show special of $20 with the wastebasket - I got a good deal on a stack of wastebaskets at Meijer a while back, and believe me $20 is a great deal on a cute hamper - trust me, I've shopped many stores before Emma was born.

Here's a sampling of Hamper Liners I have made.  I'd also be happy to make one with your fabric choice.










I will post pictures of some other things a little later, but for now here's a description of some of them...

Most recently I've been making tote bags and diaper pouches.  The tote bags can be used for a small diaper bag, a purse, or just a tote bag to throw some things in and head out the door.  The diaper pouches are designed so that you can tuck it in your larger diaper bag and then pull it out when you have to head in somewhere to change the baby.  They hold two or three diapers and a travel size pack of baby wipes.  I'm selling the "Pack-n-Go" tote bags for $20 (they are about 13x13) and a "Diaper Pouch" for $6.50 (is 6x9).

You know, it's not so much about the diaper bag fitting your boy or girl baby - it's more that it's something mom wouldn't mind carrying.   I would always be willing to make a baby themed set for someone, but I like that I've created this line more with mom in mind.

Beside the baby things, I've made some little bags that I've named "Scrappy Bags" because I wanted to find a way to use my little scraps from other projects.  Our almost 10 year old granddaughter loves hers.  It is perfect for a little pad of paper & a pen, her CD's fit in it, and she says it's the perfect size for her DS.  I've sewn them together leaving the raw edges exposed.  They are embellished with a fabric flower and I've been selling them for $7.50.

"Cross My Heart" pins were created with Valentine's Day in mind but I'm liking the idea of them for year round.   They have a cross charm sewn onto a pretty heart with a pin back attached.  They can be worn on your lapel or you could hang them from a pretty ribbon in a special place.  I've attached them to a card so you could add a message on the inside, "Crossing my heart and praying for you", "I cross my heart and promise I will always love you"... you get the idea.   I sold them for $3.50 at the last craft show.

"A Piece from the Past" are things that I've made that include some vintage element.  I've found that linen napkins, doilies, hankies, and small tablecloths work great in creating a special occasion baby blanket.  The prices vary depending on what I have to pay for the vintage part.   I've found that many people have these things tucked away in boxes or dresser drawers and are excited to have them find a new purpose where they can be seen.  I'm always looking for pieces so if you have some pieces you would part with, I'd be happy to talk price.  Also, if you have a special piece you'd like turned into something for your own family, I'd be happy to talk to you about doing that, too.

What's next... I'm really liking the whole recycle/repurposing thing so am coming up with some ideas to run with.  I think you'll start seeing some cute envelope purses made out of vintage linens and dresses.  Those little "Scrappy Bags" would be cute using old jeans and such for the main element.  Flower pins are all the go right now, so I'm thinking a little vintage flare for some of those would be great, too.

For now, I'm headed back to my sewing room to finish creating Tiffani's cheerleader's bag that will hold her shoes, clothes, and pom poms.  I have it started with an old pair of my jeans and some patriotic fabric - some good red, white, and blue will go well with her red pom poms.   I'll take a picture when I'm done and will post it along with pictures of the things I've mentioned above.

I hope this gives you a little glimpse inside my "Simply by Marge" world.






1 comment: